Friday, April 6, 2012

April 6, 2012, OT Challenge - Genesis

It's April 6, 2012.  It's also Good Friday, the day that Christians honor the crucifixion of the Savior.  Here in Utah we've had weather in the 60s/70s all week, but this morning we woke up to snow.  How fitting.  I never know what to feel on this day.  Remorse, sadness, and a bit of melancholy seem to top the list.  I know the Atonement is the reason we're all here, but it seems improper to be treating it like any other day. 

When reading the "Road to Emmaus" section of Eighteen Verses (by Denver Snuffer), he points out that despite the pain of Jesus' suffering, that those of us who approved of the Savior's plan "rejoiced".  He quotes this verse from the Pearl of Great Price:
"And behold, Enoch saw the day of the coming of the Son of Man, even in the flesh; and his soul rejoiced, saying: The Righteous is lifted up, and the Lamb is slain from the foundation of the world; and through faith I am in the bosom of the Father, and behold, Zion is with me."  (Moses 7:47)
Because of Jesus's Atonement, Enoch "rejoiced".  I don't think he was a hateful man.  He must have understood the significance of the sacrifice made and fulfilled.  It means so much for all of us. 

Old Testament (OT) Challenge:

I really enjoyed Eighteen Verses.  One of these days I'll write up an actual review.  The "Road to Emmaus" talked so much of the Law of Moses and events in the Old Testament, that I feel quite led to read the Old Testament.  I'm embarrassed to say that I've never read it, cover to cover, and I want to.  

That said, I'm inviting anyone who wants to join me in this challenge to do so.  I don't know if I should expect this challenge to last any given amount of time.  I am setting this as a monthly goal, and rather than use dates on a calendar, I'm going to go by the "lunar cycle".  It's a full moon this week, so I plan to read Genesis by the next full moon.  (In my King James version of the Bible, that's 78 pages.)  Then I'll go from there.   

(Liz Lemon Swindle's "The Road to Emmaus")


I hope everyone has a memorable and special Resurrection Sabbath!  Remember it's more than about bunnies, eggs, candy, and family dinners of ham and mashed potatoes!  xoxo 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Has this post affected you for good? Please share your thoughts.